The General Hospital, Lagos is a premier General Hospital, in Nigeria. It was established in the year 1893 as a Military Hospital to take care of the British Army that was sick during the Colonial days.
The Hospital was then known as African Hospital but this was changed to General Hospital to curb a riot on discrimination against a black man (Mr Ivor Commies) a Sierra-Leonian and Mr Keith a white man who they were staying at Bristol Hotel in the 1950’s. The first set of Nurses trained at General Hospital, Lagos was admitted in 1952. Mr J. A. Agboola a 71 yr. old man was one of the nurses trained in 1952. He is still alive and lives in his hometown of Igbara-Odo in Ekiti State.
During the Nigerian Independence on 1st of October, 1960, the Hospital was handed over to the Federal Government-and upon the creation of Lagos State on the 27th of May, 1967, the hospital was handed over to the Lagos State Government.
The services that were available then included General Out-Patient services, Surgery and Obstetrics and Gynecology. The Obstetrics and Gynecology Department was later moved to Massey Street (Ita Eleiye) where most prominent Lagosians were born.
1 – 3 Broad Street, Marina, Lagos Island, Lagos, Nigeria.