General Hospital, Lagos is situated in Odan, Lagos Island, between Broad Street and Marina in the central business district. The hospital is one of the several general hospitals of the Lagos State Government.It was established as a military hospital for the treatment of ill members of the British Armed forces during the colonial era. At the time of its establishment in 1893, it was the first general hospital in Nigeria. The pioneer staff were nationalities of the British Commonwealth. On 1 October 1960, the hospital was handed over to the Federal Government and on 7 May 1967, It was finally taken over by the Lagos State Government. The Nursing School was established in 1952. Other services which commenced included General Out-Patient services, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology. The Obstetrics and Gynecology Department was transferred to Massey Street (Ita Eleiye) where most prominent Lagosians were born. The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) was established at the hospital. The hospital has served as a training centre for Doctors, Pharmacists, Nurses, Radiographers and Technologists across the country.
1/3, Broad Street, Marina, Lagos Island, Lagos, Nigeria.