Ready for pregnancy? Some foods can help increase the chances of getting pregnant. Interesting, these foods are not expensive and could be easily gotten from markets around you.
Here are few foods that will improve your chances of getting pregnant:
1. Antioxidants: foods rich in antioxidants such as vitamins A, C and E, Folate and Zinc are great benefits because they help fight off free radicals in the body which are harmful to cell formation and development. Hence, foods and fruits such as mango, pawpaw, carrot, nuts, whole grains, green leafy vegetables (fresh and cooked) should be eaten lavishly.
2. Foods rich in omega 3 fatty acid: This is essential nutrient they include groundnut, groundnut oil, olive oil, canola oil, walnuts, sea-foods (shrimps, canned salmon, catfish e.t.c). Research has shown that this nutrient has a positive effect on fertility and outcome of pregnancy.
3. Liver: a great source of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K which are essential nutrients especially during pre-conception. It is also a rich source of iron which is very important to enhance your chances of getting pregnant as well as to maintain your pregnancy.
4. Wholegrains: the type of carbohydrate consumed is worthy of note. Refined carbs like white bread, pasta, white rice easily absorbed in the body thus causing a significant increase in blood sugar level within a short period. Whereas, unprocessed carbs found in wholegrain cereals which contain soluble or insoluble fibre such as oatmeal, wheat-meal, brown rice, beans, peanuts, green leafy vegetables, slightly ripe plantain among others are a healthy choice because the energy in these foods is released slowly into the body. Fibre also combines with excess fat in the body thus enhancing its excretion from the body, also some essential nutrients like B vitamins and minerals retained in whole grains improve your chances of getting pregnant.
5. Multivitamins supplement: vitamins and minerals such as folate, zinc, selenium, vitamin E, iron and iodine to mention a few which are not easily obtained inadequate amount in foods can be taken in as supplements as these have been shown to enhance fertility in both males and females.
Furthermore, eating more of vegetable proteins and less of animal protein is especially important for couples who are overweight to maintain a healthy weight. A healthy weight has been shown to be one of the factors that enhances one’s ability to get pregnant; however, the relationship between types of protein consumed and fertility is still undergoing research. In conclusion, relax, exercise, be active, maintain a normal body weight; add weight if underweight and shed some if overweight, be at peace with yourself, believe in yours and your spouse’s ability to procreate.