Family planning can be defined as a way to control the number of one’s family members in order to be able to provide for their need adequately and to maintain health and well-being of the mother and children as well as other family members. It is done to avoid unwanted pregnancy.
Family planning gives the wife and husband the responsibility and choice to choose how many children to have and when to have them. Some of the benefits of family planning are: healthier mothers and children, fewer children, this means that there will be more time and money for each family member and delaying pregnancy allows young pupils to stay in school.
There are many family planning methods available to choose from, but it is advisable to consult your family physician or midwife to know which method is best for you specifically at this stage of your family.
Some Family Planning Methods that can be provided without visiting the Clinic:
- Condoms (male and female): it prevents both pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections including HIV/AIDS; it is effective when used correctly every time you have sex and it is easy to get and use. It is the only method that protects against sexually transmitted infections.
- Pills: it is safe and effective when a pill is taken every day and there is less monthly bleeding and cramps.
- Injections: it is safe and very effective when injections are on time, and its use can be kept private. Hormone injections are given every 2months (NET-EN) or every 3 months (DMPA).
Some Methods that are provided at the Clinic:
- Implants: it is safe to use, it is one of the most effective methods, lasts for 3-5 years and can be removed anytime when you want to get pregnant.
- IUD: it is safe to use, it is one of the most effective methods, can be used for up to 12 years and can be removed at any time when you want to get pregnant.
- Female Sterilization: it is a safe and permanent method for women or couples who will not want more children. It is one of the most effective methods, but it involves a simple operation.
- Vasectomy: it is a safe and permanent method for men or couples who will not want more children. It is one of the most effective methods, but it involves a simple operation.
Natural family planning method, breastfeeding exclusively, withdrawal method and the use of emergency contraceptive pills are also used however with caution because the outcomes are not as effective as the methods mentioned above. Planning your family saves lives.