Sore nipples very a common among breastfeeding mothers. Even though Nipples are one of the most sensitive parts of your body but when they become sore, it can cause a great source of discomfort. Although wearing the wrong size bra, exercising without a proper sports bra, an injury on the chest area and excessively dry skin that causes cracks on the nipples are common causes of a sore breast.
It can also occur due to hormonal changes associated with pregnancy or premenstrual syndrome
Here are some home remedies for sore nipples
1. Breast Milk
If the cause is breastfeeding, you can use your own breast milk to heal sore, cracked, bleeding or blistered nipples. Breast milk has antibacterial as well as healing properties that help treat sore nipples.
1. Apply a few drops of breast milk on the affected nipple before breastfeeding.
2. After breastfeeding apply some milk again.
3. Allow it to air dry thoroughly.
4. Repeat the same for the other nipple.
5. Follow this remedy a few times daily until the soreness subsides.
2. Warm Compress
To soothe sore nipples, you can apply a warm compress on the affected area. The heat from the compress can ease discomfort and aid healing.
1. Dip a washcloth in warm water.
2. Wring it out and then place it on your breasts for a couple of minutes.
3. Do this at least 10 minutes before breastfeeding.
4. Repeat this remedy several times a day until the soreness is gone.
A warm shower or heating pad can also help alleviate the discomforts of sore nipples.
3. Oil Massage
You can also treat sore nipples by massaging with oils like olive, coconut or sweet almond oil. The moisturizing property of these oils will help keep the affected area moisturized and reduce dryness. Plus, it will reduce the problems of cracks, tears or chapping, which can worsen the condition and delay healing.
1. Heat a small amount of the oil of your choice in a microwave until warm.
2. Apply the warm oil on the nipples and massage gently.
3. Repeat several times a day.
Note: Before breastfeeding, make sure to wash your nipples thoroughly with warm water to remove any remaining oil.
To get temporary relief from pain caused by breastfeeding and sore nipples, you can massage the affected area with an ice cube. The cold temperature will numb the tender area as well as reduce swelling.
1. Wrap a few ice cubes in a thin towel.
2. Place the towel on the affected area for a couple of minutes.
3. Repeat a few times daily between feedings until you feel better.
You can even use bags of frozen peas or carrots as an ice pack.