Are you expecting a baby? This phase can be exciting, and you can shop for cute items your baby will need. You don’t need to buy everything. There are some items that you can have and must have. Also, you have to buy items at all stages of growth.
We have compiled a comprehensive shopping list containing everything you need for your new baby! To prevent you from splurging. Share this list with other moms expecting babies as well.
Baby and new mother supplies
Clothing for your baby
Newborns love comfort, and they spend over 18 hours resting and eating. Try to also buy items that are 100% cotton.
- 1 – 2 sweaters
- 3 – 6 pairs of socks
- 6 – 8 Long-sleeved onesies /sleepsuits – do not buy too many of one size, as babies overgrow!
- 6 – 8 Short sleeve bodysuits
- Several burp cloths
First Aid/Safety/Grooming items
Remember that your baby's skin is delicate. Choose their shampoos, gels, soap, and body lotions carefully. You may decide to opt for local or international brands. Always check the ingredient lists for harmful and cancerous substances like parabens. Trim their nails too! They scratch themselves with their nails, and this can hurt their skin. Essential items you should not miss are:
- Baby bath soap/shampoo
- Baby bath
- Baby changing mat
- Baby moisturiser
- Baby wipes
- Car seat
- Cleaner for bottles
- Cotton wool
- Diaper cream
- Feeding bottles (different sizes are recommended and buy extra teats)
- Lots of bibs (the wipeable ones are better)
- Nail cutter/baby scissors/soft nail enamel file
- Nappies (they grow out of the newborn sizes quickly, so don’t stock too many)
- Soft hairbrush and comb
More items on grooming and play
- Changing table
- Crib mobile
- Fitted sheets (pillows are dangerous for babies as they cause suffocation)
- Mosquito net
- Breast pump and storage bags
- Nursing bra
- Nursing pads
- Nipple cream
- Loose shirts/button down for easy feeding
Sometimes, you may be eager to buy everything on your list but not use them in the long run. A shopping list should include essentials like “must haves” over wants. So mama, take it one at a time.
If you’re the explorative type, you may opt for various baby and mama items for adventurous purposes. Found a new breast pump technology? Buy it if you want it. It’s allowed! If you want to share your experience, we’re always here for you. Mamas, what would you add to our list?